Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Before and After...March 2010 to April 2011


This photo was taken in March 2010. I was on my way to Austin to try out for a weight loss program. ("Subway Get Fit Challenge"). So I had to submit a full length body shot. After Juan took the photo of me, I couldn't believe what I saw. How did I...when did I...why did I let myself go so far? I was pushing 245 pounds and in complete denial about my weight problem. I was hiding behind large 32 oz Cokes from McDonald's and frequent fast food eating habits. I had no daily activity as far as working out. Even though I wasn't chosen for that weight loss program....God gave me another, even better weight loss program....Running!!

This photo was just taken today, April 26th, 2011. I am currently at 182 pounds...and counting! My goal is to lose another 30-40 pounds by the end of the summer. In July 2010 I was just cheking The Magic Foundation's website (www.magicfoundation.org), and stumbled accross "Run For MAGIC". It was a marathon for parents, caregivers, or anyone who wanted to run a marathon for MAGIC to help raise awareness and funds. I didn't hesitate for one second and I said outloud "I'm going to do this!". So I started working out a lot at first and lost my first 30 pounds, and in January 2011 I started officially running and training for the marathon. I decided to do the 1/2 marathon. It has been a great process for me. I don't listen to music when I run, instead it's my "quite time" and time to pray. I always point to the big, blue Texas sky and say "This if for you God, all for you.". It has become very rewarding and theraputic for me. I won't lie, as running was pretty darn hard at first. It took a long time to build up my endurance. So my big race day is this Saturday, April 30th, 2011. It's in Nashville, TN and I'm really looking forward to it! I never thought in a million years I'd be running, but I love it! It's very challenging and I only want to get better at it. I am running for countless reasons. I have been obese my entire life. I mean, I weighed 150 pounds in the 3rd grade. I know what it's like to be overweight. So here's my chance to "show up in my life" and change my body so that I can change everything else I need to. I have my 3 big reasons or motivators of why I'm running: 1.) God 2.) Minnie (my daughter) and 3.) MAGIC!! I will post my story about my 4 year old daughter Minnie and her journey so far with "ONH"-Optic Nerve Hypoplasia...the #1 leading cause of blindness in children. Can't wait for this Saturday! Please say a small prayer for me, so I can cross that finish line and celebrate! My daughter's Aunt Mini is also racing with me! Talk about support!! And I have other close family and long time friends coming to Nashville to help show their support!  I'm so lucky and blessed. Thank you God for giving me the chance to run and do this. I hope to keep running for MAGIC!! God Bless :)

1 comment:

  1. Correction to the #2 reason why I'm running...for BOTH of my beautiful daughters...Jocelyn (5) & Minnie (4). They are such wonderful and talented kids. I'm so proud of them both. God blessed me with two little angels. ;) I'm so lucky. Thank you God.

    ReplyDelete